Saturday, April 30, 2005

provincial backwaters of Austrian football

My tongue was numb. My lips were numb. That was the scenario when I was returning from the dentist yesterday. Seems like a very good way to stop me talking, ain't it? After arriving there I was x-rayed for another time (I feel it, I am contaminated!) before the dentist told me, that I had a very big hole in the aching tooth (did noooooot know that before). But here's the clue: my radix was damaged, so she had to kill the nerve by drilling away big parts of the tooth. That hurted much much more than the wisdom teeth surgery, although I got a local anesthesia. In about three weeks, when the nerve has died, I have got to visit the dentist again to get a radix-filling in my tooth.

Oh yes. Seems like I'm having taken out a subscription to various dentists. Alright, let's talk of something different. Yesterday there was another football game with participation of the SV Ried. In a game at a very bad level we managed to get three points from our opponent Sportclub Untersiebenbrunn Seidl Software (no joke, that's their real name!). These three points are very important, because our main opponent in the race for the relegation lost, and now our margin is already eight points with one game more played. I'm very confident that we can make it, the team is strong and has not lost a single game since the beginning of the spring season. The bad thing about yesterday is, that our goalgetter Sanel Kuljic got a red card after insulting an opponent player. He'll surely be taken out of the competition for two or three games, and we'll surely "miss" him.

Right now I am looking forward to seeing the match on Tuesday in Wörgl/Tyrol. Have not been there yet, but this time I have got a place in a car that's going there. When we talk of Wörgl and football, we're talking about a semi-professional team that plays in a pro league. They've got a budget of about €400.000 which seems ridiculous comparing to the €4.5 million of Kärnten. And their playing ground has no away sector. Nice anecdote here - when you ask the treasurer of Wörgl for a ticket for the away sector, he tells you [in German]: "Wosch? Gäschteschektor? Sowosch homma nit!" Pure cult! And that only about one hour away from Salzburg (by car).

Maybe you won't hear anything from me for a few days, but right now I am lacking of interesting things to be written and published here, so I'm expecting to get some interesting stories from the journey to Wörgl and the participation of our FH football team in the Austrian-FH-Cup in Wiener Neustadt next Wednesday. That's it for now, see you (not that) soon!

No comments: