Tuesday, May 31, 2005

music makes the people come together

Somehow I'm currently eager to tell you my favourite albums. Greatest hits compilations, other compilations and U2 albums stay out of the list (this time).

2004
KEANE - Hopes And Fears

There are very few albums you can hear from the first to the last song without skipping a single song. Starting with "Somewhere Only We Know", ending with "Untitled". Just great. Had the pleasure of hearing them for a short time last summer at the Frequency Festival in Salzburg. The rain and low temperature made it impossible staying until the end of the concert.

2004
SNOW PATROL - Final Straw

Don't exactly know if it's an album for insiders, or if it's already mainstream. A perfect rock/pop mix with my favourite songs like "Spitting Games", "Run" or "Chocolate". I'm glad I will hear them next month as supporting act for U2 in Dublin.

2000
ROBBIE WILLIAMS - Sing When You're Winning

A total release of seven (!) singles from this album make it one of the best pop albums ever. The likes of "Rock DJ", "Supreme", "Kids", "Let Love Be Your Energy", "Road To Mandalay", "Eternity" and "Better Man" made it a must have for me and my 219 Schillings back in 2000.

1999
TRAVIS - The Man Who

"Why Does It Always Rain On Me", their first hitsingle back then made me curious about the rest of the album. And in this point of view, I'm glad that I faced the decision of buying the album. Great songs like "Turn" (maybe you remember the video), "Driftwood" and "Writing To Reach You" make it another album you can listen to from the first until the last song.

1999
CRUEL INTENTIONS - OST

In my view the best official soundtrack ever. You certainly remember "Bittersweet Symphony", a song written by Mick Jagger and performed by The Verve. Other songs like "Praise You" from Fatboy Slim and "Every Me Every You" from Placebo complete a very special album I had even bought before I saw the movie.

1995
OASIS - What's The Story (Morning Glory)?

It was the very first album I bought with my pocket money at the age of 12. Back then I especially liked "Wonderwall" and "Don't Look Back In Anger", but today I appreciate songs like "Champagne Supernova" or "Some Might Say" as well. Many people say that it's probably the best Oasis album ever, and I certainly agree.

1992
REM - Automatic For The People

At first I have to admit, that I bought it back in 1998 or something like that and not in 1992, because back then I hardly knew REM. Another one of these "listen to the whole album" records with outstanding songs like "Drive", "Everybody Hurts", "Nightswimming" or "Man On The Moon". I saw REM performing live at the Wiener Stadthalle this February, and it was great although I did not expect that because of bad experiences with Schönbrunn one year before.

No comments: