Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I quit playing games (not with my heart)

I'm in some kind of nostalgia-mood right now and was reflecting some of the best PC games I ever played. After talking to some friend, it came out that we mostly liked the same games. Hereupon I tried to make a list of my favourite PC games, which you can find below - alright, I excluded all the sports-games and online-games and made it SP only:

01. Half-Life (1998)
02. Privateer 2 (1996)
03. Jagged Alliance 2 (1999)
04. Baldur's Gate (1998)
05. Civilisation 2 (1996)
06. Diablo (1996)
07. Age of Empires (1997)
08. System Shock 2 (1999)
09. Anno 1602 (1997)
10. Max Payne (2001)

Well, Half-Life was the best FPS ever and opened the way for the most frequently played online game ever, Counterstrike. Privateer 2 worsened my grades in school, so did most of the other games. Since Jagged Alliance 2 and its addons (Unfinished Business, Wildfire) there has not been a single game, that I would call perfect - both entertaining and breathtaking.

I wonder if I will ever play a PC game from the beginning until its end again ... maybe Diablo 3, maybe JA 3 - but it's still not sure that they will be published some day. Games scene has changed pretty much since I actively stopped playing. Nowadays it's more about GFX and coolness of the characters than about gameplay or storyline - at least I think so. At least, there is still hope when I think of relatively new games like San Andreas or F.E.A.R. (latter I was never able to play because of the configuration of myPC, that ist lightyears behind the minimum requirements of this graphical FPS).

No comments: